Modifying Original Recipes to Fit Your Needs!

A blog about healthy eating, healthy living and happiness. Join me and I'll show you how easy it is to substitute, modify and enhance your favorite recipes to accommodate your special diet, all without missing a thing!

February 14, 2013

The Best Granola You've Ever Had. Toasted Muesili with Millet, Coconut, Pistachios and Cranberries

Today is the day of all days... the one day a year that people pour their hearts out for the one they love. The day that Hallmark makes a killing, when little girls get all giddy when they receive that one special valentine, the day that eating a mass of chocolates is simply expected, the day when... I share with you the most amazing granola you've ever had.

While I'm not a huge fan of this day, because I feel that love should be shared all year round and that surprise flowers are even more of a surprise when received on any random Tuesday... I felt that I would share with you this granola that has truly won my heart.

What I have found in my years of cooking and creating is that it is very common that chefs, bakers, cooks and self-proclaimed foodies (*ehem*) often find that their favorite recipes are ones they themselves have not created. Perhaps it is that the work is somewhat removed, the pressure to create a masterpiece whereas the existing recipe has already been perfected.. all you simply have to do is prepare and enjoy.

Well my friends... that certainly is the case with this Toasted Muesili with Millet, Coconut, Pistachios and Cranberries - created by Cannelle et Vanille. If you have not seen, heard or viewed this beautiful blog, I highly recommend that you do. Incredible photography, commentary written like poetry, a reflection of food, life & photography that will truly take your breath away.

I first found this recipe while on a plane ride back from San Diego this past September. Since traveling can be somewhat... blah... I always buy myself a "treat" for the flight.... in this case I bought the September issue of Whole Living magazine. The cover is what really drew me in - "THE BEST BREAKFAST RECIPES EVER! (That just so happen to be gluten-free!)" You see my friends... I basically had to pick this one up ;-)

This recipe re-opened my absolute love for granola, adding a twist with the millet and a sweet, tropical tone with the coconut. My one and only modification is that I leave out the cranberries. Not because I don't like them but because I like the freedom to add whatever fruit my stomach is yearning the mornings all mornings that I crave this delicious, delightful, whole, healthy, irresistible granola.

I'm begging you, okay I'm telling you - take a gander at this recipe, you more than likely have all the ingredients on hand. Take a morning, an afternoon, an evening, take the time whenever you have it and make this recipe. It will change how you view mornings and will certainly change your view on granola.

Bon appetit!



No comments:

Post a Comment